COPYRIGHT SUIT TO BE SETTLED OUT OF COURT

Tutoring Bureau Outlines Claimed To Infringe Copyright Laws--Dispute To Be Adjusted at Conference

Settlement of the equity action brought against the College Tutoring Bureau by the Macmillan Company, Ginn and Company, and Houghton, Miffin will be made out of court at a conference to be held this week, it was revealed last night. The publishing companies claim that the outlines printed by the College Tutoring Bureau infringe upon the copyrights of several books used in History, Government, and Economics courses.

Abraham Segel, head of the College Tutoring Bureau, stated yesterday, "We wish to say that our outlines have been prepared solely to be used as a supplement to the books prescribed in a course rather than as a substitute for them. Students have found these outlines of use in arriving at a better understanding of the material presented in the courses. There has been no intention on our part to offend the authors or publishers in any way."

Segel also said that since there had been no complaints from any other publishers, the Tutoring Bureau would continue to sell its outlines of other books.