PLAYERS PREPARE FOR APPROACHING TENNIS CONTESTS

Coach Cowles Selects Davenport, Ray, Arensberg and Hartford To Represent The College

Since the Yale tennis match, which ended the regular spring season, the first five or six men on the squad have continued daily practice under the coaching of Harry Cowles for the approaching Intercollegiates, National Collegiates, and the Oxford-Cambridge meet, scheduled for the latter half of this month and the first of July. Somewhat hampered by the exam period, three of the squad entered the Massachusetts State Championship tournament at Longwood. W. E. Arensberg '33 is still playing in this tournament, although J. F. Ray '33 and G. H. Hartford, II '34 have been eliminated. These three men, together with S. E. Davenport, III '34, who has played in number one position all spring, have been selected by Cowles to make up the four-man team which will represent Harvard this summer.

This team, with Harry Cowles, will travel down to Ardsley-on-the-Hudson over the week-end to play in the Intercollegiates, beginning Monday, June 19, and lasting through the week. The following week will be spent at Philadelphia, where the team will compete in the National Collegiates. Cowles is unwilling to make any definite statements, but it is reasonable to believe that the Crimson aggregation will give a good showing, inasmuch as they overwhelmed Yale at the close of this year's season, and were defeated only by a strong team from North Carolina.

The last clash of the team as a unit will probably take place at Philadelphia, when they will band together with a Yale team to meet the combined Oxford-Cambridge forces on July 13, 14, and 15. On this occasion, three men will be selected from each college, thus making two six-man teams, although each college will be allowed to keep in reserve one extra player. At present there is some doubt as to who will play in number two position, both Arensberg and Ray contesting for the position.

The system under which the Oxford-Cambridge-Harvard-Yale tennis matches operate is not an annually alternating one. For two years the England players come to the United States, and then the Americans play the next two annual matches in England. Experience has proved this to be the best method.