PROFESSOR PALMER'S HOUSE

The problem of disposing of the late Professor Palmer's house which stands in the corner of the Yard at Quincy and Harvard Streets appears at first glance to be an easy one, yet there are such a number of possibilities, that it will not be easy to decide for what purpose the house would be best adapted. Two requirements, however, do seem essential. The use to which the building is put should in no way transform its physical exterior or interior, nor should it be made use of for any purpose which will not be of some benefit or enjoyment to the students or the faculty. Its convenient location in the Yard is too valuable to permit its being rented to any individual for his own occupation.

What does seem practical would be to turn the second floor over to the department or departments which have not yet adequate office space and conference rooms. Such a change would involve little or no renovation, and would provide such departments as History and Literature or German, which have hitherto suffered from cramped or scattered quarters, with ample space. The rooms on the ground floor might be left as they are, and could be used for informal meetings of faculty members and concentrators in the same field, a practice which has proved highly successful in bringing members of the field, particularly those in the same class, in contact with the tutors and instructors, and which would be encouraged by the existence of a set of comfortable rooms provided especially for this purpose.