CASEY'S FOOTBALL TEAM IN HARD DAILY DRILLS

FRANCISCO AND ROGERS IN KEEN COMPETITION AT TACKLE

With a full week of practice behind them Coach Eddie Casey's Varsity football men have settled down to a daily routine of scrimmages, signal and blocking drills, and conditioning exercises. Since all but three of last year's veteran outfit graduated last June, Casey is faced with the problem of building up an entirely new team from his promising squad of 57 candidates.

This squad is somewhat larger than usual, and contains a great many men of average or even slightly better than average ability, but it seems doubtful if the outfit includes candidates capable of filling the places vacated by Crickard, Hardy, and Hallowell, stars of the 1932 team. In the scrimmages held on the last three days Casey has concentrated on testing possibilities for No. 3 back (left halfback), left tackle, and center, the positions held respectively by Crickard, Hardy, and Hallowell last fall.

The bitterest fight at the present time is for a permanent berth at left tackle. In the last four days of practice Leon A. Francisco '34 and Eddy J. Rogers '34 have each had two workouts at that position on "A" team. Francis J. Crane '34 has been at center on all of the practice sessions so far. In all of the scrimmages the backfield has been composed of Harry K. Wells '34 or Allan W. Sherman '34, alternating at quarter, Charles J. Nevin '34 and Arthur J. Barrett '34, halfbacks, and Captain John H. Dean '34, fullback.

Neither team "A" or team "B" scrimmaged yesterday afternoon, but at a scrimmage between the "C" and "D" squads it was revealed that three men were on the injured list. Robert S. Hurlbut '34 is out with a broken finger, Nathaniel H. Blatchford III '36 has a sore foot, and Nathaniel L. Tenney, Jr. '35, has pulled a muscle. On Wednesday Nevin was reported to be suffering from a cold in his back, but he was back in the lineup yesterday afternoon.

In an attempt to reduce the casualty list this year the entire squad has been given daily conditioning drills by Norman Fradd, director of Physical Education. These drills are a good workout in themselves, and it may be that Casey felt his "A" and "B" squads needed a rest when he called off their scrimmage yesterday. Workouts have been unusually hard so far this season.

The lineup for team "A" yesterday was as follows: Lowe, l.e.; Francisco, l.t.; Healey l.g.; Crane, c.; Gundlach, r.g.; Kopans, r.t.; Nazro, r.e.; Wells (Sherman), q.b.; Nevin, l.h.b.; and Dean, r.b.