More Communists Caused by Bankers Than by Agents of Reds--- Shipstead

RECOGNITION OF RUSSIA IS UNPROVINCIAL

"Bankers create more communists in this country than all the agents Russia could send here in a century," said the Honorable Henrik Shipstead, Senator from Minnesota, in commenting upon the likelihood of the spread of communism in this country due to our recognition of Russia.

As the only Farmer-Laborite in the United States Senate, Senator Shipstead is the acknowledged national leader of that party; and as a member of the Foreign Relations Committee of the Senate, he has given the following interview on the Russian question to the CRIMSON.

"Our recognition will not serve as a wedge for communism in this country," continued the Senator. "After all, Russia could not make that movement successful here. If we ever accept the communist philosophy, that development will come as a result of conditions on this side of the Atlantic, and not on the other side. In my opinion, this step was motivated by a more intelligent, sensible attitude. It was not because of party prejudice that Russia was not recognized before, but because of general prejudice, ignorance, and misunderstanding.

"As for indicating a growth of pro-Soviet sentiment, it has no such significance. It merely shows that we are getting away from provincialism and prejudices. As a nation, we deal with any country irrespective of its form of government. We shall continue in our own way, and Russia will continue in here.

"In regard to the connection of both the United States and Russia with the League of Nations, I believe that Russian recognition will have no effect. All nations are gradually drifting away from their affiliation with that body, because they are beginning to find out that the League is not what it is represented to be. It cannot outlaw war and it is becoming generally accepted that the League is merely a political organization established to preserve the status quo of the Treaty of Versailles.

"I prefer to consider our relations with Russia in as simple a light as possible, instead of trying to make them a complicated affair. There is nothing very complex in trying to maintain friendly relations with one's neighbors, which is essentially the administration's purpose in making the move."