MEN ON PROBATION ARE PERMITTED TO PLAY AGAINST YALE

Informality of These Championships Principal Reason for Modifying Probation Rule

Members of the Houses who are on probation may play against the Yale Colleges in their championships games, according to a ruling handed down by the Administrative Board at University Hall yesterday. Their decision rests on the points that all men are allowed to play in the inter-House games and those with the Yale Colleges are of an informal nature.

It was announced at the same time that Yale will pursue the same policy. Dean Hanford has been in touch with Dean Mendell and other Yale authorities so that they could act in accord with each other.

The Administrative Board's action is the result of the report of the inter-House Athletic Committee, submitted to Dean Hanford, Monday, October 23. The committee, composed of Arthur W. Todd '35, chairman; James T. Dennison '34, and Richard G. Fletcher, Jr. '35, carefully investigated the proposal which had not only wide-spread support among the student body but also among the House masters. They recommended that since House athletics are not representative of the University in the same way that other teams are, the words, "public performance" should not be constructed to refer to strictly House games between Yale and Harvard.

The first championship game which will be held with Yale under the new ruling is the basketball game shortly before the Spring vacation. It had been hoped to run the football match under this ruling but the negotiations proved to be of a difficult nature.

The text of the ruling is as follows: "Since all students residing in the Houses are eligible to play in inter-House games within the college and since the contests between the Harvard Houses and the Yale Colleges are of an informal nature, men who are on probation for scholastic reasons will be allowed to take part in the final games between the Harvard Houses and the Yale Colleges. This action is taken after consultation with the Yale authorities who will pursue the same policy."