HARVARD LIKES GOOD MUSIC MORE THAN YALE

EDDIE DUCHIN, CASA LOMA, CAB CALLOWAY ARE FAVORITES

"Harvard likes good music more than Yale does," stated a Harvard Square music dealer in a recent interview with the CRIMSON about musical taste here. "Our statistics show that the boys go in for the two dollar records far more than our friends in New Haven.

"Harvard men like Sibelius best of all modern composers, thanks doubtless to the numerous renditions of his works by the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Bach, Beethoven, and especially Brahms are favorite old composers. Tchaikovsky is immensely popular.

Eddie Duchin Favorite

"In jazz, Harvardians like Eddie Duchin, the Casa Loma orchestra, and Cab Calloway. Ellington is a classic here: people come in and buy his records of two years ago. Such men as Reisman and Lombardo no longer sell as they used to.

"Men around the campus are strong on 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes' and 'Carioca,' at present. The last piece is now sweeping New York, and will probably have an immediate success in Cambridge.

"But after two years or so of popular music, college men often tire of it. Upon the recommendation of their girls, they try some of the lighter classics like Gilbert and Sullivan. After Gilbert and Sullivan they try Tchaikovsky; then they are on their way to Brahms.

"Brahms, by the way, is probably the most popular classical composer in the college. A recent survey of one of the House record collections showed that his First Symphony was the album taken out the greatest number of times. Gilbert and Sullivan came next with 'Iolanthe,' followed by Tchaikovsky with his Sixth Symphony."