Big Business School

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

I am sure that the editors of "Time" would be very indignant if they should read Mr. Satterthwaite's assertion that the readers of "Time" are gullible, unwary, and easy victims to Ballyhoo. For "Time" readers "pay five dollars a year for accurate news reporting" and intelligent advertising.

But the editors of "Time" would also be surprised to read a condemnation of Harvard Business School advertising. For "Time" realizes--as Mr. Satterthwaite evidently does not--that the Law School, the Medical School, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and even the College itself have advertised and still do.

It seems remarkable that the Business School is able to retain the respect and good-will of many of America's leaders of industry and finance when it is so clear to even the immature minds of editors of the CRIMSON and Mr. Satterthwaite that the Business School is simply a school for teaching chain grocery clerks how to make money. But then--the CRIMSON will take pleasure in lumping all business leaders under the name "Big Business" and placing them in the reference file entitled "Material for sarcastic and cynical editorials."

The Business School is fortunate in having back on its faculty Dr. Sprague--a man with the common sense to get out of public office when he agrees with the President's aims but not with the President's method of procedure. Robert Arnold '36.

(Endeavoring to verify Mr. Arnold's statement that other departments of the University have stolen a march on the Business School in advertising their wares, the CRIMSON encountered a blank wall. Inner circles could recall no instance but admitted the possibility.--Ed.)