Chamberlin Chosen To Serve in Capacity of Adviser at Capital

Recently Expressed Views on Recovery Program--Favors Extended Buying Aids

Edward H. Chamberlin, assistant professor of Economics, has been granted a leave of absence for the second half of the academic year in order to serve in an advisory capacity in Washington, it was announced last night. He will work with the Committee on Government Statistics and Information Services, a bureau set up under the direction of the Rockefeller Foundation.

"The Committee with which I shall work," said Professor Chamberlin in a statement to the CRIMSON, "is not officially a part of the Administration, but acts in an advisory capacity to the various bureaus and departments of the Government. It is for this reason that it offers peculiar advantages in studying the administrative problems which have arisen in connection with the New Deal."

Professor Chamberlin's new assignment is interesting in view of the opinions he recently expressed in his chapter of "The Economics of the Recovery Program." In this chapter he advocates means of bringing about a general increase in purchasing power, not only for wage earners, but also for "farmers, dividend receivers, and business managers." The Professor is especially interested in the relation of the government and the consumer, and hopes that he will be able to work with that subject in his new position.

Professor Chamberlin graduated in 1920 from State University of Iowa. He obtained his Master's degree at Michigan in 1922 and his Doctor's degree at Harvard in 1927. From 1924 to 1929 he was an instructor in Economics at Harvard, and was appointed Assistant Professor in 1929. As Assistant Professor, he has given several courses on the relationship of government and industry. He is a tutor in Eliot House and chairman of the House Library Committee. Beside his recent work, Chamberlin is author of a book on "The Theory of Monopolistic Competition."