CLARENCE DARROW WILL ADDRESS LIBERAL CLUB

TO BE GUEST OF HONOR AT DINNER HELD BEFORE MEETING

Under the auspices of the Liberal Club Clarence Darrow will speak at 7.45 o'clock in the New Lecture Hall Saturday evening. The title of Mr. Darrow's speech will be, "Is There A Criminal Justice?" Edmund M. Morgan, Bussey Professor of Law at the Harvard Law School, will introduce the speaker who will be entertained at a private dinner before the lecture. Mr. Darrow spoke here a few years ago to a packed hall which he raised to a fever pitch of excitement by his oratory. This lecture on Saturday will be closed to everyone except members of the University and may not be reported by the papers.

Mr. Darrow has attained prominence as a criminal lawyer in several notable cases of which the first was the McNamara case in California. After his victory in the Loeb-Leopold trial he was called to defend in the spectacular Scopes case in 1925. This was the case in which a Tennessee school teacher was prosecuted by William Jennings Bryan for teaching the theory of evolution to his innocent pupils in violation of a state law. Darrow took the defense with Arthur Garfield Hayes and Dudley Field Malone and by carrying the case to the Tennessee Supreme Court, managed to get Scopes freed on a technicality.

On Thursday, the Liberal Club will hold a business meeting in the Lowell House Tower Room at which the policy and finances for the rest of the year will be discussed. After these matters have been disposed of, the formation of committees to make arrangements for the entertainment of the delegates or toe New England Model League of Nations is to be undertaken. About 800 members of this League will assemble here in March.

At the end of the meeting an informal debate by members of the Club itself will be held. The subject under discussion is; "Resolved, That Fascism Is Nerts." George C. Edwards, Jr. 1G. will support the "Nerts" while Charles R. Cherington '35 will take the "anti-Nerts" position