DEBATING COUNCIL TO MEET COLUMBIA ON AIR

Trials Will Be Thursday for Debate To Be Broadcast Over Nation-Wide Hookup Next Month

The University Debating Council will meet the Columbia College Debating Council in a radio debate, broadcast over a nation-wide hookup, on Saturday, February 10, it was announced yesterday. The debate will last thirty minutes, from 5.30 o'clock to 6. Harvard will speak from the National Broadcasting Company studies in Boston, and Columbia will speak from the studies of the same network in New York.

The men to speak for Harvard will be chosen at trials to be held Thursday. The debaters for all other scheduled engagements will also be chosen at these trials. The topic for debate is: Resolved: That the United States should build its navy to treaty strength. There will be three speeches on each side of four minutes' duration, and there will be no rebuttal.

The broadcast will open with a four minute, introduction by Carlton J. H. Hayes, Professor of European History at Columbia University.

This is the first debate over the air between Harvard and Columbia, and is the first that Harvard has engaged in since the trans-oceanic debate with Oxford during the season of 1931-32. The debate was arranged by Sanford L. Schumas, Columbia '34, President of the Columbia Debating Council.