B. U. Offers New Extension Courses For Residents Of Greater Boston

TUITION FEES ARE $2.50, $5.00 PER COURSE

"Recent Trends in American Government" and "Money and Commercial Crises" are among the new University Extension Courses offered to residents of Greater Boston after regular working hours for the 1934-35 academic year. The curriculum consists of 27 courses in a variety of subjects.

Last year more than 1,700 men and women enrolled in the courses, which are of college grade and all given by faculty members of the cooperating institutions: namely, Harvard, Tufts College, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston College, Boston University, Museum of Fine Arts, Wellesley College, Simmons College, Massachusetts Board of Education, and the School Committee of the City of Boston.

Instruction has been given annually since 1910 under the direction of the Commission on Extension Courses. The chairman is Arthur F. Whittem, associate professor of Romance Languages. Classes are held in the late afternoon and in the evening at various places in Boston and Cambridge. Courses carry credit towards the degree of Adjunct in Arts at Harvard.

New this year are the following courses given by Harvard men: "Money and Commercial Crises", by Felix I. Shaffer '25; "Recent Trends in American Government", by Payson S. Wild Jr., Instructor in Government; "Milton", by Philip W. Souers, instructor in English; Modern Spanish Novels and Plays", by Guillermo Rivera, assistant professor of Spanish; and "Cathedrals and Abbeys of Mediaeval Europe", by Kenneth J. Conant '15, associate professor of Architecture. Two other courses to be presented will be "Recent Developments in Drama", by Professor Joseph R. Taylor, of Boston University; "The History of England and the British Empire, 1689 to the Present", by Professor Warren O. Ault, of Boston University.

Other courses are in Astronomy, English, French, Geology, German, History, Psychology, Spanish, and Zoology.

The teaching staff for the current year numbers twenty-one; eleven members are from Harvard, five from Boston University, three from Tufts, one from Wellesley, and one from Ginn and Company.

Offices are in R University Hall, Harvard University. Tuition fees are $2.50 and $5.00 per course. Prospective students may attend the first two meetings of each course free of charge.