LEHMAN'S LEAGUE

With the announcement clarifying the tasks of the new Business Manager for the University, appointed last June, comes what is probably the end of the financial reorganization of Harvard. Starting with the appointment of Mr. John W. Lowes as Vice-President to handle all financial affairs, the work of reconstruction continued with the retirement of Mr. Endicott as Comptroller and of Mr. Emory as his assistant, and now apparently has run its course with the arrival of the Business Manager.

Under the old, prosperity tried system of handling the finances the operation of the University was divided between the offices in Milk Street and Lehman Hall, the latter rooms containing the Comptroller who seemed to be dealing both with the more purely financial side and also in charge of the mechanics of University operation. This made the position of Comptroller one which did not seem solely responsible for the mechanical considerations in the running of the University's vast non-scholastic forces. With the arrival in University Hall of a vice-president to handle the financial end some one was kept in Cambridge who was in definite charge of such matters, and who was to devote his time solely to that side of the operation of Harvard. Coincident with this appointment came the vacancy in the position of Comptroller with the tacit understanding that that post was never again to be filled. This left the University with no one in definite charge of the mechanical administration.

Now with the appearance of a man well versed in engineering and executive ability in such a position this one remaining vacancy has been filled and the University is at last running on a completed financial reorganization which indeed even at the outset presents a far more pleasing outlook than the old. As the change in the economic organization of the world continued, the old financial setup of Harvard became outmoded, and the need for a new and different construction was evident. This came, and now has been virtually concluded, with both a minimum of difficulty and to first appearances a maximum of success. It marks the completion of the first major project to be planned by the new administration.