THE DRAMATIC CLUB

A need for a more complete program of dramatic activities is brought to mind again with the beginning of the Dramatic Club's activities for the year. There is a definite place here, so far neglected, for a group of students interested in the stage arts, and presenting a really active program of dramatic activities throughout the year.

The work of the Dramatic Club in the past, though commendable in its own line, has left the histrionic field of activity untouched, causing a definite gap in the life of the University. While some attention may be given to the art of playwriting and to dramatic interpretation in the regular composition and public speaking courses, there is still little chance for actual experimentation and presentation along this line. Such a group among the students could study the stage arts, write plays of their own, and produce an interesting and varied program throughout the year. Then, too, there is a wealth of dramatic literature which would serve their purpose well, short productions and one-act plays, that require little actual trouble beyond the performance of the play itself. There is no great need for elaborate productions and intricate stage settings; the professional stage of Boston can supply that; but there is a dolluite place for such an activity among undergraduates. The students have little chance to see such plays elsewhere, and there is no time more fitting than during college years for the enjoyment of such a program. Some attempt to supply this need is made by the Houses with their plays, but their facilities and materials are necessarily limited.

There is a large group of students who would be interested in such an activity and who would welcome an opportunity to participate. This might well be a field for the present Dramatic Club, for it already has the organization, and with a little effort, it could develop the possibilities of this type of activity.