ENFANT TROUVE

The present system of awarding scholarships by the various Associated Harvard Clubs permits much room for comment and criticism. Anually when the conclave of alumni from the individual clubs vote the customary stipend from $300 to $500 for Freshmen scholarships, they fail completely to take into consideration the fact that due to the rising cost of living in Cambridge this sum represents only a small amount of the yearly expenses incurred by the needy undergraduate. The result of the present method of disbursements has been that a large number of Harvard Club Scholarship recipients have been forced to leave college either because of shortage of funds or because the extra burden of earning the remaining part of their expenses has compelled them to neglect academic work.

Men arriving in Cambridge on one of the Associated Harvard Club scholarships are expected to keep their record at University Hall free from probation, attain Dean's List standing and provide themselves with jobs to cover the major expenses for the college year. Quite often the contrary is true, as a large majority of such men holding these awards come to Cambridge from southern or western high schools poorly equipped for the unfamiliar methods of study at Harvard. A substantial percentage go on probation at the November Hours and, with the additional burden of financial worries, are sorely pressed for chance to express their full capabilities. When finances become low near the April term-bill they are compelled to spend in searching for work time that should normally be devoted to study. True, five hundred dollars is a large sum for any individual club to award, but the fact remains that without some further positive guarantee of funds the dependent man in financially unable to remain.

Obviously the present set-up of a number of one-year Harvard Club scholars is not satisfactory as an investment to the club or a finale for the ambitious student. The Associated Harvard Clubs should make it clear that their scholarships are tenable only upon satisfactory work done by the recipient. If possible the sums awarded should be increased and the student placed in closer contact with the Student Employment Bureau before entering the University. The Harvard Club of New York City has taken an initial step towards the solution of this problem by increasing the stipend from $400 to $800 each.