FOUR "OPEN NIGHTS" AT OBSERVATORY SCHEDULED

Lectures on "Physical Universe" Will Be Given by Leading Specialists on Astronomy

Harvard will give the general public a chance to gratify its yen for star-gazing, when the Observatory on Concord Avenue is opened on the evening of October 22 for the first in a series of "Open Nights," which will be featured by four lectures dealing with the facts and problems of evolution as revealed by the latest astronomical investigations.

The lectures, under the general title "Evidence of Evolution in the Physical Universe," are open to the public by free ticket admission.

If the weather permits, anyone so desiring may learn of the secrets of the heavens through the telescope at the Observatory. Saturn, the ringed planet, will be an object of special interest to amateur investigators.

Tickets for individual lectures or for the entire series, may be obtained in advance by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to "Open Nights," Harvard Observatory, Cambridge, Mass., together with a note stating for which nights the tickets are desired.

The dates, titles, and speakers for the lectures are as follows: October 22, "Atoms," Donald H. Menzel, assistant professor of Astronomy; October 24, "Planets," Dr. Gabriel G. Gillie; October 30, "Stars," Dr. Cecilia PayneGaposchin, research associate; and November 1, "Galaxies," Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy.