SENIORS HIT HARDEST BY GENERAL DEPRESSION

FEWER APPLICATIONS FOR JOBS THIS YEAR, HOWEVER

This year's Senior class of Harvard College has been the hardest hit financially of the "depression" classes, according to figures contained in the report on Temporary Student Employment released today by Russell T. Sharpe, secretary for Student Employment and assistant Consultant on Careers. During the first two years of the operation of the Employment Plan, applications for employment from this class far outnumbered those from any others. Preliminary figures for this year's applications show that the same conditions prevails with this class.

More than two hundred upperclassmen in the College were given work last year under the Temporary Student Employment Plan. Under this plan, inaugurated in June, 1932, the College budgets $40,000 a year to the emergency employment of needy sophomores, juniors, and seniors.

The report shows that 206 men were given such employment last year as opposed to 255 for the year before. It is indicated that the decrease in the number employed was caused chiefly by a drop in the number of applicants from 383 for 1932-33, to 318 for 1933-34. As a result of this reduction in the number of workers, the average earnings of the whole group jumped from $147.34 in 1932-33, to $202.68, in 1933-34.

The total number of applications has dropped steadily since the inception of the plan. The number of applicants for work during the present academic year is 296, as opposed to 318 for last year, and 383 for the year before.