150 STUDENTS TAGGED FOR ILLEGAL PARKING

MINIMUM FINE OF FIVE DOLLARS TO BE IMPOSED ON OFFENDERS

Simultaneously with the State police drive against unregistered cars, Cambridge police yesterday launched a drive against illegal parking in this city. Along Mt. Auburn, from Dunster Street to Plympton, a lien of student cars displayed on each windshield the blue tag of the Cambridge Police Department. The total number of student cars tagged exceeded 170.

This year first offenders will receive little mercy from the authorities. Central Square police officials yesterday indicated that violators of parking regulations may expect a minimum fine of five dollars. For over-time parking and parking in restricted areas, the custom in the past has been to deal leniently with first offences. Last year despite the fact that over 500 persons were tagged in the month of September, only 24 were officially summoned into court. Of these students, first offenders were warned against future violations of the law, and only those with previous records were fined.

Seventy of this year's offenders will be hailed into the East Cambridge police court on Wednesday, where a special session has been called. The remainder will answer charges at another special session during the following week.