"EVEN THE WORM . . ."

Mr. Farley and Mr. Curley may find in Harvard's disapproval of the policies of their party a sure indication of Democratic success at the polls on November 6th. Surely, a countless mass of people will think that Mr. Moses has succeeded in moving the "Old Guard" from New York to the banks of the Charles. Regardless of the accuracy of these charges, however, the fact that Harvard was for the new deal in May and has reversed its stand within five months, demands an explanation.

The popularity of the new deal was slow in striking Cambridge. The conservatism which has always marked student opinion here provided a Hoover landslide in 1932 when the country was ridding itself of the laissez-faire complex. Last winter, however, reactionaries dashed for cover as the high purposes of Mr. Roosevelt' and his program struck home. The CRIMSON-Literary Digest poll is testimony to the change.

As the sweltering summer drew to its close, it became plain that Mr. Roosevelt was finding that the ending to his story presented difficulties. People were beginning to feel that the government was spending millions with no carefully-constructed plan. They were laying labor unrest at the door of the NRA; higher food prices to the AAA. In short, recovery does not seem so sure a bet as it did a short time ago. What is more natural than that Harvard with its conservative leanings should take up its conservative leanings should take up its beliefs again?

It is encouraging that this should happen. Care should be taken, however, in applying these results to the country. Undergraduates represent chiefly the industrial class which is bearing the brunt of the new deal; the relief program, which will affect election returns, does not touch the student; and the issue is presented on November 6th through candidates, many of whom are Republican stuffed shirts. Above all, the sheltered existence of Harvard makes a student reflect political opinions, not develop them, and despite the value of the opinion of the observer, it does not count for much in politics.

In relation to the soundness of the Roosevelt program of course, the results cannot be discounted. Harvard wants recovery fully as much as its distinguished graduate; its vote yesterday does not signify that it wants to return to the old deal of the twenties. It does mean that undergraduates do not want the type of recovery which can only lead to chaos through uncontrolled expenditure and through the substitution of opportunism for a definite program.