STREET WATCHERS ARE HIRED TO COUNT AUTOS

Highway Commission Pays Students To Stand at Intersections to Get Data on Red Light Installation

Motorists who were startled yesterday by calculating glances from young men standing on street corners in the vicinity of the Cambridge Fire Station, with boards in their hands, will be relieved to learn that they were merely a corps of students street watchers hired from the Student Employment office to check on traffic.

It seems that the University officials have been worried about the extreme peril which forces the poor student to dodge through the rushing autos on his way to the New Lecture Hall, and so with the co-operation of the State Highway Commission they have begun a survey to determine the exact number of cars and pedestrians frequenting the maze of highways converging at the Fire Station.

Under the supervision of an efficient expert from the Highway Commission six students hold forth for six hour each from 7 o'clock in the morning until 7 o'clock at night, and with the aid of a series of comptometers record the number of cars going straight, left, or right at various intersections. Yesterday automobiles were recorded, and today pedestrians are being noted to make the survey complete.

Two students busily engaged in checking off traffic at Quincy and Broadway Streets revealed that although the job were not exactly exhausting, there were numerous distractions such as little urchins stridently demanding to known what was going on, and strange your ladies watching over their shoulders as they toiled. Cars with trailers also offered a perplexing problem--was it one or two?

The purpose of this observation is to obtain figures from which the University and the Highway Commission can decide whether or not change in the signal system would relieve the congestion.