LAW SCHOOL MEN ADDRESSED LAST NIGHT BY CONANT

Conant Declares Harvard Not Founded As Divinity School--Organization Explained by Heads

President Conant, Dean Roscoe Pound, and the heads of various Law School organizations spoke to several hundred first-year law students at the "welcome night" last evening in the Langdell Hall Court Room.

President Conant explained that he was only a "second-year man" himself, inasmuch as he had just joined the law faculty as an ex-officio member last fall. He then took the opportunity to remind the newcomers from universities and colleges all over the country that Harvard was not founded as a Divinity School, contrary to the popular belief. It was founded by a group of Puritans as an institution to carry on the work of colleges they knew in England, in particular Emmanuel College at Cambridge University which many of them attended.

"Harvard is still operating under its charter of 1650. It is the oldest corporation in the United States, if not in North America."

Dean Pound, who was wearing his familiar green eyeshade, exhorted his hearers to take advantage of their opportunities. "No one will stand by with a red." Other bits of advice: "Don't be afraid of learning things that are just so." "Take reasonable care of your health." "Don't succumb to the preva- lent disposition to avoid taking part in a public discussion in a lecture-room."

"At common law, you as students in this law school are already members of the profession. Become imbued at the outset with the professional spirit."

Victor M. Harding 3L, introduced the speakers, including the chairman of the Law Review, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 1936; William Piel, Jr. 3L., head of the Legal Aid Bureau; and the chairman of the Board of Student Advisers, who supervise the law clubs. The program was sponsored by the Law School Committee of Phillips Brooks House.

A meeting will be held in the Langdell Hall Court Room this afternoon at 4 oclock by the Board of Student Advisers to consider the conduct of elections to the law clubs