CURLEY AND BACON REPLY TO LIBERAL CLUB'S QUESTIONS

Santosuosso Deserves Election for He Is Elk -- Cook Gets Designation of Efficient Bureaucrat

The Crimson publishes in this issue the first instalment of the report of the Political Actions Committee of the Harvard Liberal Club. During the past three weeks the members of the Committee have personally interviewed most of the candidates for public office in and from Massachusetts and have attempted to present the factual material they have gathered, together with an impartial estimate of the candidates. A summary of general conclusions will be printed after the reports on the candidates have appeared.

Governors

James M. Curley, Democrat. Experience: "I have held public office during the greater part of the past 35 years." Ten years in the city government of Boston, two years a member of State Legislature, four years as Member of Congress, twelve years as Mayor of the city of Boston. Obviously adequate.

Beliefs: He "recognizes the necessity for providing relief for property owners and favors such legislation as will make this possible." Note: also states that "no man, woman, or child in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts shall be either cold or hungry." To Mr. Curley those two platforms seem completely reconcilable; to the Committee, not.

Opinion of opponent Bacon: "Under no circumstances is there any way in which any citizen could justify a vote in favor of a beneficiary of the House of Morgan."

Qualifications: "I will enter the office without ties and not in subjection to orders or directions from any political bases." The Committee suggests: "Know thyself . . ."

* * *

Gaspar G. Bacon '08, Republican. Experience: Ten years in State politics, eight years in the State Senate, last four of which was President of Senate, Lieutenant-Governor two years.

Beliefs: lower taxes; more money for the unemployed. (This irreconcilability reminiscent of Curley). More welfare money from Roosevelt. Unemployment insurance; minimum wage laws; old age security; abolition to child labor; elimination of sweat-shops; lower automobile insurance rates.

Note: Advocates abolition of child labor yet recently stated: "Massachusetts abolished child labor many years ago." Massachusetts American Federation of Labor against him. Note thunderstealing from Democratic platform. Has Mr. Bacon become a liberal overnight?

Opinion of opponent Curley: Trying to ride in on rump of Roosevelt's horse.

Qualifications: "Comes from rugged pioneer stock--seafarers and pioneers of Cape Cod."

* * *

Alfred B. Lewis, Socialist. Experience: perennial candidate for Governor.

Beliefs: Socialism.

Qualifications: Socialist; has been in jail for his moral convictions; Curley for another conviction.

* * *

Secretaries of State

Frederic W. Cook, Democrat. Age: 61. Experience: Somerville City Clerk for fifteen years; Secretary of State for fourteen years. As it is an administrative post, there are no campaign issues, he says. He stands on his record. Impartial estimate: efficient bureaucrat.

Personality note: "Frederic Cook has many friends but he has never won a friendship at the expense of his duty to his state nor at the sacrifice of his convictions."

* * *

Joseph Santosuosso; Democrat. Experience: Boston City Councillor in 1906.

Qualifications: Physician and lawyer. He himself states: "I was chairman of the committee to receive an Italian Mission during the War. . . I am a member of the Elks."

Beliefs: Believes in rotation of elective offices; Cook has had it long enough. "I am for Curley and Roosevelt