SCHOLARSHIPS AWARDED TO 16 UPPERCLASSMEN

McGRANAHAN RECEIVES PALFREY EXHIBITION

For excellence in studies, 16 Harvard College upperclassmen have been awarded scholarships for the current academic year, by vote of the Harvard Corporation, as follows:

Donald V. McGranahan '35, of Malden, the Palfrey Exhibition, "for the most distinguished scholar in the Senior Class who is a recipient of a stipendiary scholarship."

Herbert A. Fierste '35, of Mount Vernon, N. Y., the Charles Joseph Bonaparte Scholarship, "for a student who has shown an interest in the study of American government and gives promise of helping to promote in after life higher standards in government and citizenship. Awarded at the end of his Junior year to the student concentrating in Government, who has the highest academic standing, regardless of his financial need."

William H. Robinson '36, of Arlington, the Richard H. Nichols Scholarship, "for a scholar who excels in the study of English literature."

John A. Bovey Jr., '35 of Minneapolis, Minn., the William Henry Meeker Scholarship, "for a student showing excellence in some of the courses in English."

Erling C. Olsen '35, of Maplewood, N. J., the George Emerson Lowell Scholarship, "for excellence in the classics."

Richard E. Voland '36, of New Rochelle, N. Y., the Charles Wyman Scholarship, "for advanced students of history in Harvard College.

John A. O'Keefe '37, Lynn, the Robert Wheeler Wilson Scholarship, "for an undergraduate student studying his major subject Astronomy at the Astronomical Laboratory."

Eight of the students have been awarded Samuel Crocker Lawrence and Samuel C. Lawrence Scholarships for "undergraduates of more than ordinary intellectual promise." They are Robert M. Terrall '36, Lakewood, O.; Eric F. Gardner '35, Boston; David J. Holden, '35, Montclair, N. J.; Douglas T. McClay '36, Boston; Edward Landsberg '36, Roxbury; Thomas H. Hunter '35, Cambridge; Donald W. Fiske '37, West Medford; and Joseph J. Gianino, 4 E. S., Medford.

Henry V. Poor '36, of New York, the Wendell Phillips Memorial Scholarship, "for a Junior who gives promise of becoming a real force as a public speaker."

Samuel Mencher '35, of Dorchester, the Stanley Bagg Pennock Scholarship, "for a Senior recommended by the Division of Chemistry who specializes in chemistry to follow a chemistry career.