MAGOUN PERPLEXED AT PUBLICATION OF CABLE

Literature Professor Surprised to See Confidential Telegram Appear in German Press

Somewhat annoyed at the unexpected publicity his telegram to Dr. Ernst Hanfstaengl received last week Francis P. Magoun, Jr. '16, associate professor of Comparative Literature, told the CRIMSON that it was a decided breach of confidence and good friendship which the Nazi press agent showed when he allowed the telegram which Magoun had sent to be published in the Nazi organ, DEUTSCHE ALLGEMEINE ZEITUNG. for October 11. Magoun insisted that he had cabled the Harvard alumnus as one close friend to another, and that he was at a loss to understand why "Putsy" had broken faith over this personal matter.

Although Professor Magoun is known to have been in sympathy with the Nazi regime for many years this was the first time that he has been publicly revealed as being against the Corporation's stand on the Hanfstaengl scholarship. He is known to be a close friend of President Conant and many members of the Faculty are surprised and amused at this difference in opinion over a political matter. In commenting upon the article in the ZEITUNG Magoun pointed out that it was a mistranslation and was not truly representative of the spirit in which he sent the confidential cable.

Matthew T. Mellon who made the offer of the scholarship, and who also cabled Hanfstaengl indicated that he would certainly make his offer of a scholarship for German study to the University again. This time, however, he pointed out that he was to make it merely as an American citizen, and attach no strings to the gift. It would be given as a grant for German study and without any conditions at all implied or stipulated. He hopes sincerely he said that with this new attitude the Corporation will accept his gift in the manner in which he makes it.