ROWE NAMES DEBATERS TO FACE OXFORD ON AIR

BRITISH BROADCASTING COMPANY TO CENSOR ALL SPEECHES

To represent Harvard in the debate on December 8 between the Harvard Debating Council and the Oxford Union Society, Edward M. Rowe '27, director of Debating, chose the following: Frederick DeW. Bolman '35, A. Gilman Sullivan '36, and, as alternate, Powers McLean '35.

Harvard takes the negative of the proposal "Resolved: That there be an Anglo-American alliance to preserve world peace." Briefs will be exchanged before December 1 by cable, but the whole set of speeches will have to be approved by the British Broadcasting Company, a government-owned agency. If any one of the speakers departs from his submitted speech, the BBC may cut him off the air in England at least. The NBC also wants to know ahead of time what each speaker will say.

Regarding the choice of a prominent person to introduce the speakers, the following paragraph from a BBC letter to the Oxford group is quoted:

"I also want to confirm that the debate is on December 8, and would last for half an hour, and that there should be two speakers a side and no introduction whatever by anyone such as the President of Harvard."