VARSITY HOCKEY MEETS FOR FIRST SCRIMMAGE

FIRST CUT OF SEASON TO BE MADE THIS FRIDAY

The candidates for the Varsity hockey team met for their first practice yesterday afternoon at the Arena. They were divided into two groups, one of which played at 2.30 o'clock and the other at 4 o'clock. Although the first group contained most of the top-notch players, Coach Joe Subbs asserted that the division into groups had no significance and was made merely for the sake of convenience.

The work yesterday afternoon consisted entirely of scrimmage. Each group was divided into two teams which worked against each other with a view to developing speed. Coach Stubbs has started the scrimmage work at this early date on account of the nearness of the first game, which will be played against M. I. T. on December 11. There will be another scrimmage today and none on Friday.

The first cut is scheduled to take place on Friday. Inasmuch as there is no Jayvee squad this year, the Varsity squad will be larger than usual. Consequently Coach Stubbs is anxious to cut it as much as possible. However, he declared that any man who has a fair chance of making the team will not be left out.

The first practice of the Freshman hockey team is scheduled to take place on Friday.