HARVARD RUNNERS SWAMP PRINCETON AND YALE TEAMS

Freshman Team Beats Eli Harriers by One Point but Loses to Fast Orange And Black Squad

Flashing to the front early in the race and never relinquishing his lead, Robert S. Playfair '36 yesterday led the unbeaten Crimson harriers to victory over both Yale and Princeton to break his own record by a quarter minute for a new mark of 28:14.2.

The Triangular Meet was scored on a basis of three individual meets, Harvard against Princeton, Harvard against Yale, and Yale against Princeton. Harvard shut out the Tigers, 15-54 and beat Eli 25-32.

At the starting gun, Minor of Yale took the lead, with Channing second. At the bridge, the two were still in front, Hogan of Princeton following closely, Woodard and Pier at Hogan's shoulder, and Playfair rapidly moving up.

Coming off the loop, Playfair and Pier led by sixty yards, followed by Minor and Woodland of Yale with Woodard and Channing a few yards behind, Hogan faded to seventh, Channing of Yale was next, and Walker came in ninth.

As they reached the horse track, Woodland and Minor moved up to pass Pier, but their bids to pass Playfair fell short as the red-jerseyed distance man stepped up the pace to finish in record time.

A few seconds behind Woodland and Minor came Pier and Woodard, next an Eli, with Channing and Walker fourth and fifth of the Mikkola-men. O'Neill was the sixth Crimson man, and Scheu the seventh.

In the Freshman race, Harvard beat Yale 28-29 and lost to Princeton 19-37. Captain Northrop of Harvard made a bid to pass the winning Orange and Black runner, but lost ground as the Tiger outsprinted him to win in 13:40.