Council to Study Admittance Of Freshmen into the Houses

Lewis Heads Group to Survey Laundries, Other Companies Selling to Students

Shaun Kelly, Jr. '36 and Charles F. Woodard '35 will make up a committee from the Student Council which will work with President Conant on the general problem of the admittance of Freshman into the Houses, it was announced last night by E. Francis Bowditch '35, President of the Council. Also, David W. Lewis '35, secretary of the Council, will be chairman of a committee which will make a report on the general problem of "Solicitation in the Harvard Dormitories."

'38 May Eat In Houses

The work of the first committee may not involve a report, but its general objectives will be 1.) to arrange with the college authorities to allow Freshmen to eat a certain number of meals in the houses during the second half year without extra charge, and 2.) to advise Freshmen about the Houses and also about their field of concentration with reference to the Houses.

Solloitation Problem

Assisting Lewis in making a report on the solicitation problem will be Thomas H. Hunter '35 and Arthur W. Todd '35.

The main work of this committee will be in straightening out the relationships of the various laundries in the square. This problem has caused a great deal of discussion in recent years. Russell T. Sharpe '28, Secretary for Student Employment, has been carrying on investigations on the subject, and the central bureau which is maintained at Yale to represent all laundries has been inspected with a view to getting information which will help settle the problem in Cambridge.

The only rules which the University has about solicitation are very brief. The general rule which is posted in all the Houses and dormitories is as follows:

Official Notice

Regulations governing soliciting on property belonging to Harvard University:

1.) No agent, student or otherwise, for any concern or individual, may take orders or sell any product or service in any building or on any property owned by Harvard University, except as follows:

a.) Student and Alumni publications may solicit subscription for a limited period provided they first receive permits from the University;

b.) Certain student bureaus, operated under the direction of the Student Employment Office, may be given permission to sell goods or services in University buildings or on University property.

The report will also include many minor subjects which fall under the general heading of solicitation.