TO MAKE THE PUNISHMENT FIT THE CRIME

All but a violent minority must by this time have become heartily sick of this goal post business. Excusable some eight years ago as the overt expression of collegiate rejoicing at a long awaited victory over a traditionally triumphant Harvard, the assault has at long sad last become a trite ritual. Last week the H.A.A. News dismissed the destruction of the posts as a manifestation of that old demon rum, and pointed with pride to the fact that very few of either student body engaged in the fray.

Last Saturday increasing weight was given to that school of thought which holds that the disappearance of the goal posts is due to the Harvard Square Alumni. Before a Princeton man had left the stands, lo, the posts swayed, fell, and were gone; just to show what the Navy from out of Cambridgeport can do when aroused. Incidentally, it will be interesting to see how this Battalion of Death manages to parade as a loyal West Point regiment next Saturday. The lack of uniforms will be most revealing.

If it were not for the fact that, as the H.A.A. News announced, some one will be fatally injured in one of these goal post jamborees, the whole matter would hardly deserve consideration. Police defense and structural reinforcement of the posts only serve as a challenge to the gothic sensibilities of the besiegers. Why not achieve our object most sublime by coating the posts with sticky flypaper, or more simply by applying a layer of very fresh and adhesive paint immediately before the game? Then, verily, by their coats ye would know them.