DENTAL SCHOOL TREATS OVER 9,000 IN 1933-34

Patients Pay For Materials Only; All Work Done By Students, Supervised By Expert Instructors

Treating more than 9,000 patients, the students in the Dental School were kept busy with practice cases in performing a total of 23,193 operations last year.

The largest number of treatments made are under the heading "operative", and include all fillings and treatments for oral diseases. 12,944 treatments were given to 2,889 patients in this group. In cases termed "extracting" 9,076 trouble-some molars were yanked from 4,634 patients. Fewer cases were treated in the prosthetic, orthodontia and surgical departments. Only a small number can be treated in the orthodontia department, which does work in straightening teeth for children only. 159 were cared for in 1933-34.

The charge made to the patient covers only the cost of the materials used in making fillings and plates. Anyone can apply to have work done and a great many of the poorer classes make use of the opportunity. Each patient is assigned to a certain student, who does all the work to be done on the one case under the strict supervision of an instructor, who is himself an experienced dentist.

Work has begun again this year, and will continue, with slight interruptions at recess periods, until June. The number of cases treated in 1932-33 was much the same as the number in 1933-34, and the same amount of work will probably be accomplished this year.