EFFICIENT ADMINISTRATION

Dean Donham in his annual report to the President laid great stress upon the function of the Business School as a training ground for government administrators. Scoring the lack of equipment among officials today and the over-specialization in individual fields, he stated that the Business School "must become a School of public as well as private business."

With the over-growing participation of the government in business and the close inter-relationship between the two the need for trained experts is greater than over before in the history of our country. Dean Donham's recognition of the problem is timely and his intention of adapting the curriculum to present-day social needs should be encouraged and carried out. Too few men are prepared to carry on the work of public administration and in the past the civil service has not attracted men of the best ability. Were the government to be run on the same efficient basis as private corporations much needless waste would be eliminated and the burden placed on taxpayers' shoulders materially decreased. Too long have government posts been regarded as sinecures. Useless positions must be abolished and the work of administration consolidated in the hands of men specially trained for the work.

The Business School can have an active influence in bringing about a change that has long been awaited. By stimulating men's interest in government and stressing public rather than private interests, men of ability may have an opportunity to administer the government on an efficient and business-like basis.