Nippon Envoy Stresses Bond Between Japanese And American Students on Inspection of Harvard

Saito Unwilling to Elaborate His Speeches on Naval Dispute After Conant Call

Stressing "the bond of virility and sincere purpose which exists in common between Harvard students and those of Japanese universities," Hirosi Saito, Japanese Ambassador to the United States, paid a short visit to the University yesterday morning.

As he descended the steps of University Hall after calling on President Conant, Ambassador Saito expressed his satisfaction at returning to Boston and Harvard, where "many of the makers of modern Japan had their early education." Concerning the naval situation, however, he would add nothing to his recent address to the Academy of Political and Social Sciences at Philadelphia, and his statement to the local press Wednesday evening and yesterday morning.

"Japan is interested in peace, not war, and in peace is determined to work out her destiny," he said in his interviews. "Japan is by no means claiming the right to possess a navy greater than she has. On the contrary, she is proposing a decided reduction in naval armaments." Japan desires not to build up to the strength of Britain and America, but that they reduce their navies toward her strength.

A diminutive figure in a gray overcoat and felt hat, and carrying a black walking stick, Ambassador Saito was at Harvard for approximately the space of an hour. After conferring with President Conant, and before returning to Boston for a 1 o'clock luncheon engagement, he made a brief inspection of the Memorial Church and the Fogg Art Museum, where he examined the Oriental exhibits. Jerome D. Greene '96, Secretary to the Corporation, and William Cameron Forbes '92, associate in the University Museum, and former ambassador to Japan, accompanied the Ambassador about the Yard.

Completing his itinerary for the day, Ambassador Saito, who has been Mr. Forbes' guest since Wednesday, visited friends in the afternoon, attended a formal dinner for the Far Eastern Association, and took a late train back to Washington.