Powerful Centralized Government Is Not Needed For National Defense, Declares Emma Goldman

Thinks Spain Best Country For Anarchist Agitation Now as Party Strong There

"It has been predicted that I will end my life on the gallows," said Emma Goldman, famous Red agitator, to a CRIMSON reporter at Tremont Temple before her lecture on Saturday evening; "perhaps I shall," she continued, "But it is not important how one dies; how to live is the important thing. Emma Goldman can't be bought by any-once, She will live her life through to the end following her principles."

Miss Goldman, who came to Boston to give one of a series of lectures on her book, "Living My Life," said that there are two main anarchist schools of thought: the individualistic philosophy of anarchism expounded in America by Benjamin R. Tucker, and Prince Peter Kropotkin's anarchist-communist philosophy of mutual aid. "I am a disciple of Kropotkin," she said. "I believe in voluntarily organized groups as a system of government, as was the original plan after the first Russian Revolution.

"A strong centralized government is not necessary to repel outside attacks," she continued. "In the first two years of the Russian civil war, the Red Army had hardly been organized; the force which repelled attacks on 17 fronts was that of the peasants who were fighting for their homes. Spain is the country most favorable to the anarchist movement at present. There there is a very strong anarchical-syndicalist movement composed not only of workers but also of doctors, lawyers and leading intellectuals. The reactionaries were victorious in the last elections only because the anarchists do not believe in political action and therefore did not vote. I do not see any trend toward more individual freedom in Russia; in fact there is even less now than when I left 12 years ago. But as a result of its industrial program Russia will soon be one of the great powers of the world."