Screen Actors and Actresses Do Well To Return To State, Says O'Connell---Wants Fireman Job

Vandeville Acting Harder Than Legitimate Stage; Public Wants Living Figures

"I'd rather be a fireman than a policeman in the winter, because firemen wear boots," revealed Hugh O'Connell, now appearing at the Metropolitan in a shortened version of "The First Little Show." Mr. O'Connell can be quoted as an authority on the subject of policemen and fireman, having portrayed one of New York's finest in "Face the Music" and now appearing as the cultured fireman in the "Little Show." "But in the summer I'd rather be a policeman, because their uniforms are lighter. To tell the truth, I really don't care about the matter. Boston policemen?" Mr. O'Connell paused to adjust a bright red scarf around his neck. "Oh, they're swell."

He turned to a more serious subject. "It's a good thing that the actors and actresses of the screen are rejurning to the stage. Talkies have to use actors with legitimate stage training. While working in pictures the actors get out of tune with an audience, and an actor is only as good as his audience. An audience brings out the best in an actor, and if he stays in pictures too long he loses a great deal of ability. This is especially true in comedy."

Mr. O'Connell decided to be diplomatic about the subject of vaudeville. "Vaudeville's harder than the legitimate stage, and it takes up more time. Actors have to keep abreast of the times, and if the public wants to look at living figures the actor must adjust himself. Condensed versions of shows that have been produced are a good idea, because they're not so much of an experiment."

"Have college men a sense of humor? Sometimes it's too keen. Their reaction to humor is not disciplined enough. They come to a show to have a good time and spoil the amusement by being too exuberant and laughing in advance of the joke."