MUCK-RAKING

It has come to the notice of the CRIMSON that streets of Cambridge are almost impassible; better, indeed, if they were impassible. Mt. Auburn St. mucks aimlessly through snowbanks, littered with cars, crossed at rare intervals by Alpine footpaths. A Dunster student was observed setting up a pup-tent just north of the Lampoon building at dusk the other day; word had come north that the Plympton St. Pass was closed to traffic. Parking automobiles is no longer a science, but a gamble. The insouciant police swing their arms in Harvard Square, the Street Cleaners dig in here, dig in there, the snow piles up in ragged mounds, slashes off, piles up again. The trolley whisk-broom, flicking the dandruff off the shoulders of Mass. Ave., is the only efficient device of its kind in the town.

Don't speak of your labor problems again, Cambridge; don't mention unemployment after the dismal swamps your ditch-ways have been this last week. The only men working appeared to be the step-fathers of local firemen, or past grand commanders of the Elks Lodge. If there were jobs for twenty, Cambridge found one--but he had to have a son-in-law in the county jail or the mayor's office.

With all due respect to the flaccid corruption innate to this snowy municipality, the recent exposures warrant firm action. Rumor has floated about that a well-known shoe firm is in collusion with the Cambridge city government. They aren't after the voter's cash. These avaricious galoshers are just drooling for undergraduate sacker money; so what do they do, but fix it up with the boys to keep the streets about Harvard full of snow. In fact, trucks of slush from other parts of the town may have been dumped on Mt. Auburn St. late at night. The Liberal Club should take this situation in hand.