Loew's State

Greta Garbo's first Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer picture in two years, "Queen Christina" is having its first popular priced showing at Loew's State theatre this week. The film has already been acclaimed as one of the outstanding achievements of the current season and is unusual in that it reunites the glamorous Garbo with John Gilbert after a screen separation of five years. Their scenes together are reminiscent of such former pictures as "Flesh and the Devil" and "Woman of Affairs."

Rouben Marmoulian, whose name has been linked with that of Garbo's in marriage, was chosen by her to guide the destinles of the picture in production and his direction has made it a notable film. The picture is based upon the glamorous life of Sweden's famous Queen Christina who reigned three hundred years ago and its filming taxed the capacity of the M. G. M. construction department for the massive sets of the Stockholm Castle and various other materials. In addition to John Gilbert, who plays the part of the impetuous role of Antonio, the Spanish Ambassador with whom Christina fell in love, the cast includes Ian Keith, Lewis Stone, Elizabeth Young and C. Aubrey Smith