71 REPORT AT OPENING OF FOOTBALL PRACTICE

HILL APPOINTED AS NEW JAYVEE LINE COACH

The largest turnout since 1929 greeted Coach Eddie Casey and his assistants yesterday afternoon when spring football began in the Brigga Cage on Soldiers Field at 4.30 o'clock.

Smiling graciously at photographers and reporters the Harvard coaching staff welcomed 71 candidates for the Varsity football team and put the players through a short drill. Casey's two new assistants, Adam Walsh, line coach, and Myles Lane, backfield coach were present for the opening session and helped Caaey with the candidates.

Practice Informal

There was no formality about the practice, and after a short talk by Casey in which he explained what he hoped to accomplish during the spring workouts, the players were sent through conditioning exercises. Following the exercises the players broke up into groups supervised by the various coaches. Coach Wesley Fesler took care of the end candidates, Walsh, the line and Lane the backs.

A drill on fundamentals, forward passing, and shifting was topped off with a brisk signal drill and Coach Casey decided to call it a day. Captain Herman Gundlach '34 headed the list of those reporting and other members of last year's squad who turned out were J. Robert Haley '35, Frank J. Casale '35, Thomas F. Locke '35, Chester K. Litman '35 and Walter S. White '36.

Also announced yesterday was the appointment of Joseph H. Hill, star of the 1930, 1931, and 1932 Colgate teams, as Jayvee line coach replacing Henry M. Myerson.