EPIDEMIC OF MEASLES HITS FRESHMAN CLASS

OFFICIALS DENY UNION FOOD IS CAUSE OF TROUBLE.

With ten men, the great majority of them Freshmen from the Yard dormitories, in the Stillman Infirmary with measles, the epidemic which has been current in Boston and Cambridge for the past month, has at last reached Harvard. As all the cases in the College have occurred within the last five days, the Hygiene Department has sent out instructions to all those known to have been exposed, with a description of the early symptoms of the disease. The symptoms warned against are running nose, watery eyes, dry cough, fever, and headache. It is stated that these appear during the three days before the appearance of the rash, and that it is at this time that the disease is most contagious.

Indications of Disease

This circular also states that these signs will occur from seven days after the first exposure to 16 days after the last exposure, and that it is possible to contract the disease more than once.

The current rumor that this epidemic was caused by improper handling of the food in the Union, as was the case last spring, when thrifty men went to Stillman in three days, could not be checked last night. Roy L. Westcott '14, manager of the University Dining Halls, could not be reached at a late hour; however Dr. Paul B. Means '17, Medical Adviser, expressed the opinion that the epidemic would be of much greater extent, if this were true.