INAUGURATION OF ELIOT HAILED AS PROGRESSIVE CHANGE IN UNIVERSITY

COLLEGE NOW STANDS ALONE, SAID CLIFFORD AT CEREMONIES

"This cerement surpasses in interest and importance any that accompanies the investigate of ruler or significant they may be." This was the statement of the Honorable John H. Clifford, President of the Board of Overseers, at the inauguration of President Eliot on October 19, 1869. Preceded by a huge retinue of University and government officials, the procession formed at Gore Hall "at the proper time, and at 2 3-4 o'clock P. M., moved to the church of the First Congregational Society,: where the ceremonies were held.

Inaugurated By Overseers

President Eliot's inauguration marked the first time that the new President had been inducted by the President of the Board of Overseers. Previously the ceremony had been carried out by the governor of Massachusetts, but the custom was changed because of an alteration made in the constitution of the Board of Overseers in 1865. This change was hailed by Clifford as a progressive and important step. In his address to the new president lie said, "Now for the first time in its history, the college stands alone--unsupported by the state--and dependent only upon itself to justify its claim to the lofty position it ought to occupy among our institutions of learning, of which it is the eldest, and should be the most advanced, beneficent, and renowned."

Address in Latin

After a program of music by the band, a choral, and a prayer, a congratulatory address in Latin was delivered by John S. White '69, of the Senior Class. Then Clifford inducted President Eliot into the office, and the new President replied, I will take up this weighty charge with a deep sense of insufficiency, but yet with youthful hope, and a good courage. High examples will lighten the way. The University is strong in the ardor and self-sacrifices of its teachers, in the vigor and wisdom of the Corporation and Overseers, and in the public spirit of the community. Above all, I devote myself to the sacred work, in the firm faith that the God of the fathers will also be with the children."

In his inaugural address President Eliot stressed the necessity of bettering methods of instruction, and stated that the reforms should not only apply to college, but to all grades of school education. "If the whole structure needs rebuilding, it must be rebuilt from the foundation," said the President. He said that the college needed variety and not uniformity of intellectual product.

Turning to the undergraduates at the ceremony, President Eliot told them, "When you feel a true admiration for a teacher, a glow of enthusiasm for work, a thrill of pleasure at some excellent saying, give it expression. Do not be ashamed of these emotions. The best way to fight boyishness is to foster scholarship and manliness."