HURD AND YATSEVITCH GAIN TITLES IN FENCING

Varsity Star and Graduate Ace Excel In Final Foils and Epee Matches of University Championship

John G. Hurd '34, captain of the Varsity fencing team, won the foils event of the University fencing championship yesterday afternoon in the final contests held in the Indoor Athletic Building, and Gratian M. Yatsevitch 1G captured the honors in the epee matches. Hurd placed second in the epee event while Yatsevitch won the same place in the foils matches. Gobert Kerlin 1G was third in the number of points scored in the foils event and Edward A. Laugenau '35 gained third position in the epee class.

Hurd Wins

Hurd had little difficulty in outscoring the contestants in the foils class, but the epee matches proved very close, Yatsevitch made five points and Hurd and Langenan tied with four points apiece. Second place was awarded to Hurd since he had fewer touches scored against him.

Henry P. Walker 1G of the Harvard Fencing Club won the championship of the sabre class last week at the same time at which the preliminary matches of the two other events were being contested in the New Indoor Athletic Building.