E. Rotan Sargent Is Winner In Squash Intercollegiates

Glidden Runner-Up in All-Harvard Final of Tournament

In an all-Harvard final E. Rotan Sargent '36 defeated Germaine G. Glidden '36 for the intercollegiate squash racquets championship, by the scores of 15-12, 9-15 17-14, 9-15, 15-0. The match was played on Saturday at Hartford, Connecticut. Sargent was seeded No. 3 in the tournament, and Glidden No. 4.

Both Harvard men reached the final round by virtue of upsets. In the first semi-final Sargent defeated Baldwin Terry of Yale, who had previously upset the second ranking player, 16-17, 15-6, 15-8, 17-15. A little while after, Glidden overturned the defending champion and first seeded player, William G. Foulke of Princeton, 15-12, 13-15, 12-15, 15-13, 15-12.

For the first four games, the final match was exceedingly even, but in the last game Sargent unleashed his smashing drives, and smothered his teammate without the loss of a point. Glidden's game was just the reverse of Sargent's, as he relied on soft angle shots for his points.

Before the day's play, Glidden was elected vice-president of the Intercollegiate Squash Racquets Association.