Balsam Issues Denial, Denounces Hurley-Dillon Allegation As Macchiavellian And Sorry Trick

Gill Witness Outlines Old and New Penological Ideas, Lists Norfolk Difficulties

By John U. Monro

"I completely and definitely deny that in an armistice day speech at Norfolk I told the men that they were 'fools to have fought in a war for commercialism,' or that I pointed to one of the men who was present and addressed the gathering thus, "There is a man wearing medals, but what good do they do him; he came out of the war with stomach trouble, and is now imprisoned by the government which he protected.'" This was the statement made to the CRIMSON last evening by Louis Balsam, 2G, colony officer at Norfolk in 1929. It has been charged in the Hurley report and in Dillon's 36 charges, that Balsam said these things to an armistice day gathering at Norfolk in 1929, that Mr. Gill was present, and that no action was taken by Mr. Gill to stop the alleged utterances.

"Whoever gave testimony to the effect that I made such remarks must have come into the audience right in the middle of the speech. What I did tell them was this, that crime is a commercialized war against society and that anyone who fights in that war is a fool. I told the men what those who were at Norfolk were there because they had fought in a losing fight against society, in a war in which almost all the participants lose anyway. I pointed out to the men that they had a much bigger war ahead of them than any war they had ever been in, that is to say, a fight against themselves to get on the right side of the ledger."

Balsam styled the inclusion of this four year old incident in the charges as Macchiavellian; and stated that to drag the associations of Armistice Day into a prison investigation was a sorry trick.

Balsam was to have been called as a witness at the hearing this afternoon, but was unable to be present. In his absence. Attorney Wilkins presented a signed statement from Balsam, denying the statements in the allegation. When informed as to the progress of the affair and to the apparent change of heart which the governor has undergone, Mr. Balsam expressed satisfaction.

"You see," he said, "the whole trouble arises in the conflict between the old and new ideas of penology. The new ideas implies a steady concentration and persistence. The old idea needs simply emotional outbursts. Most people grew up on the old idea and find it hard to be converted. You can use the old method without thinking. You just clap a man into a cell and forget it. The new ideas involving discussions with the men, and inquires into their character and records, requires patience and intelligence.

"When economic conditions are good Mr. Balsam continued, "new ideas sretolerated. But when men start walking the streets, and see that other men, behind prison bars, are well treated they are upset. Mr. Gill's administration has been harassed by that and by two-considerations: (1) Not only was he starting a new idea and responsible for its spirit, but he also had to build buildings as well, and be responsible for them. (2) Almost from the start, since his was a new experiment, he has had all kinds of criminals dumped on him, men who were in no way suited to his institution