Conant Philosophy

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

John S. Higgins, of Providence, R. I., retiring president of the New England division of the Associated Harvard Clubs, made the following statement today through the University News Office:

"As the man who presided at the annual dinner of the New England division of the Associated Harvard Clubs Friday night in Boston, I wish to make clear that the CRIMSON editorial today (Monday) misquoted and misinterpreted the remarks made by President Conant at the dinner on the subject of the student working his way through college.

"Mr. Conant explained in his talk that he thought it a hardship for a boy who has practically no money to go through college trying to carry the double burden of studies and an outside job.

"Mr. Conant said that the fact that so many boys of brilliant promise had over-extended their physical reserve by attempting to carry this double burden made it definitely clear that there should be a sufficient number of large scholarships provided by the University so that exceptionally gifted youths be given a means of coming to Harvard. President Conant definitely does not feel that it is wrong for any students to work their way through college. But he does feel that brilliant students should be provided with relief from financial worries so that they may devote all their time to study and research."

The CRIMSON quoted President Conant as saying. "I do not subscribe to the philosophy that a man should work his way through college." Harvard University News Office.

(Ed. Note: In quoting President Conant as saying, "I do not subscribe to the philosophy that a man should work his way through college," the CRIMSON used the statement which appeared in a metropolitan paper, taking these words as those of the President in his speech before the New England division of the Associated Harvard Clubs. In endeavoring to make the usual cheek on such statements, the CRIMSON get in louch with a University Hall official, who refused to deny the quotation. It was with this in mind that the editorial was written, Mr. Conant's policy, as indicated in his annual report, on questions of this nature, is well understood, and it was with some surprise that the above statement was read. The editorial was written as a means of expressing once again undergraduate opinion on that philosophy in the event that the President's policy had been radically altered, giving an impression such as the Harvard Club's statement had made.--Ed.)