ELIMINATION RACES RUN IN ANNUAL HANDICAPS

DEAN AND FOBES CAPTURE FIRST HONORS IN MEET

While elimination races in the University Spring Handicap meet were being held under yesterday's threatening skies, two field event men, Johnny Dean and Jo Fobes captured the shot put and javelin titles. Dean tossed the 16-pound shot 46 feet 5 1-4 inches, two feet further than Jack Healey and Mac Millard. Fobes' victory in the javelin came as a result of his handicap over Howard Harrington who heaved it 190 feet.

Elimination trials were run in the 100 and 200 meter dashes and the 110 and 200 meter hurdles. While none of the times were outstanding, many of the heats were bitterly contested. In the 100 meters, Dick Brayton, a Freshman, and Frank Glass of the Graduate School made the best time of 11 2-5 seconds. Willy Williamson, Bob Bookings, Harry Miller and Carlisle Abell also made the grade.

Carlisle and Gurdon Abell led the 200 field of Jim O'Connor, Willard Grush, Oscar Sutermeister, former pole-vaulter, and George Porter, in 23 4-5 seconds.

Milton Greene, Gone Record, former captain, J. C. Crawford, Dick Hayes, and Howard Fletcher qualified for the 200-meter low hurdles in 26 2-5 seconds. In the 110-meter high hurdles, Milton Greene made the best time of 15 3-5 seconds. He was followed by Record and the two Hayes, Dick and Jack.