Athleic Association Will Shut Hemenway Gym Next Winter

Hope To Realize $40,000 Alone On Football Game Next Fall Against Princeton

A proposal to close the Hemenway Gymnasium next year, in order to help balance the budget of the Athletic Association, will be submitted to the budget meeting a week from Wednesday and it is expected that it will be approved by the Corporation without opposition.

The closing of Hemenway comes as the first of the more obvious curtailments of the H.A.A. which are made necessary by the deficit which it faces for the present year. Present estimates set the deficit hope to make up mach of this by playing Princeton in football next fall instead of Leigh. The Princeton game is expected to bring in something over $80,000 as compared with last year's receipts tees will cut Harvard's share to $40,000.

New Gym to be open longer at present the cost of keeping the Hemenway Gym amounts to $11,000 a year and $7,000 of this sum is used to pay for heat and light. Most to this will be saved despite the fact that it will be necessary to keep the New Athletic Building open longer each day. In order to take care of the men who are now using New Athletic Building will be made available to them.

The H.A.A. for the last two years, has been running at a paper surplus of about $85,000 but a substantial portion of the gifts for the New Athletic Building remain at present unpaid. Business conditions have prevented payment of the gifts but since they are from one of the country's great fortunes, it is understood that they will be paid within a short time. The outstanding amount is more than sufficient to cover the deficit which the Association incurred in taking over the building expenses of the new gymnasium.

Hemenway Gymnasium, built more than 50 years ago has become rapidly obsolete in the last few years and freshmen, entering the building for the first time when they take physical exams marvel at its antiquity. Pictures of Harvard strong men adorn the entrance hall and innumerable machines for producing gigantic biceps are scattered throughout the building , all in dreary and regular monotony.

Golf Note in Basement

The gymnasium is now being used for calisthenics, dormitory basketball and handball. Unknown to nearly very one in the University; are two nets for indoor golf in the basement, which set up by the Golf team several years ago. Until an undergraduate discovered that these nets were in workable condition this year, they had been untouched for three years.To Lie Black and Uninhabited Under next Winter's Shows HEMENWAY GYMNASIUM,long a haven for Harvard's denizens of physical culture and the place of many a glorious Crimson victory on the court and mat, which is to be abandoned temporarily by the H.A.A out of purely mercenary reasons.