'37 DEBATERS SPLIT IN ANNUAL H.Y.P. CONTEST

Triumph at Yale, Lose to Princeton Here--Dunn Awarded T. Jefferson Coolidge Prize

Winning by the deciding vote of the audience at Yale, and losing to Princeton at home by a two to one judges decision, the Harvard Freshman debating teams speaking on the question: "Resolved, That modern science has made the world a happier place," gained an even break for their efforts in the annual Harvard, Yale, Princeton Freshman debates Saturday evening.

The Freshman trio which was host to the Princeton team at the Union, were completely subdued under the strong Tiger affirmative, and the decision of the judges Paul Reardon '32, Edward H. Hickey '33, and Donal M. Sullivan '33, chairman of the evening, was two to one in favor of the visitors. The negative Harvard team, which opposed Princeton, was made up of Harold W. Danser, Jr., Thomas W. Stephenson, and Hubert H. Nexon.

The announcement of the award of the $25 T. Jefferson Coolidge prize, annually given to the Freshman who delivers the best speech at the Triangular debate trials, to Robert Dunn of Somerville, was made following the contest.

The Crimson team consisting of Bennet Frankel, W. Tucker Dean, Jr., and John A. O'Keefe, which upheld the affirmative of the question at New Haven, won their victory by receiving a majority of the plaudits of the audience, after the two judges were unable to come to a decision.