NEW FELLOWSHIPS FOR BRILLIANT MEN HOPE OF CONANT

Putting Oneself Through College a "Social Waste" -- Aims to Award 10% of College With Scholarships

"Harvard owes it to the country to be truly national, having a student body which is a cross-section of the nation, open to all of real merit," said President Conant at the Hot Springs Meeting of the Associated Harvard Clubs Saturday night, "My chief concern at present is to provide larger fellowships for men entering Harvard College and the graduate schools, drawing brilliant young men from every state regardless of their resources."

Stressing the need for the availability of advanced education to all as is secondary education, President Conant said that geographical or economic considerations should not be allowed to bar the way; "selection we must have, but it should be based on the real factors which govern a man's ability . . . and not a selection based on the accident of birth."

President Conant went on to outline his new fellowship plan which will begin next fall with the entrance as Freshmen of five or ten selected candidates from the Middle Western States; these Fellows are to receive a stipend of from $200 to $1,000 a year, which may be held throughout the college course with the possibility of an advancement to a maximum of $1,200 annually. These fellowships are to be competed for as prizes by all students regardless of their financial circumstances with selection based on the three qualities of originality, ambition, and initiative.

Calling the process of working one's way through college with the resultant fatigue and strain a "social waste," President Conant stated his eventual aim of obtaining sufficient funds to take care of ten per cent of the entering class.

Harvard Clubs Elect

Earlier in the day the Associated Harvard Clubs held their elections for the coming year. Hugh L. Gaddis '12 of Cleveland, Ohio was elected president; Nathan Pereles, Jr. '04, of Milwaukee was chosen secretary; Mackey Wells '08, also of Milwaukee was reelected trasurer.