SPLIT IN LIBERAL CLUB FACTIONS TO COME AT ELECTION

Thin Hopes for Compromise Based on Chances of Reelection of Dennett To Presidency

A violent tiff is in prospect tonight when the Liberal Club meets for the annual election of officers in the Lowell House Common Room at 8 o'clock, and a new spark was added to the fight already going on within the ranks of the Club when Thomas H. Quinn '36, President, last night announced his intention of retiring from that office.

At present there are three definite factions in the organization and it is expected that each of these groups will nominate a candidate for the office of president. Both the National Student League faction, representing the Radical element, and the conservatives led by Alvin M. Josephy, Jr. '36, Chairman of the Political Action Committee will put up their candidates in addition to the probable nomination of candidates from those who fall in neither of these two categories.

Any hopes for conciliation of the three groups lies in the possibility of inducing G. Raymond Dennett '36, former president to attempt the nomination. With Dennett up for election, some members of the Liberal Club believe that the organization could again be united.

An issue which may cause considerable dissension in the ranks of the club and which may bring about a division is the question of affiliation with the National Student Federation of America. Various types of resolutions on this question will be introduced at the meeting tonight.