Walter Lippmann to Make First Godkin Speech Today

"Method of Freedom" Series Topic For This Week

Opening another group of one of the most important series of lectures at Harvard, Walter Lippmann '10 will give the first Godkin Lecture at 4 o'clock this afternoon. The topic of his four lectures, which will be given every afternoon this week, is "The Method of Freedom."

Instituting a new system this year, seats may be reserved in advance. These seats will be held until 3.55 o'clock and this innovation is expected to lessen the necessity of standing three hours or more in dismal company outside the New Lecture Hall. The tickets may be obtained from the University Information Office, Room A, University Hall.

The Godkin Lectures are held under an endowment given the University in 1903 by the friends of Edwin L. Godkin, famed editorial writer on the New York Evening Post and founder of the Nation, as a memorial of his long and brilliant service to the country of his adoption. The present lecturer is an Overseer of the College and a member of the Visiting Committee to the Department of History, Government, and Economics. In addition to the various books he has written such as "A Preface to Morals," he has won most of his fame as columnist on the New York Herald-Tribune.

Among previous Godkin lecturers have been Lord Bryce, President Eliot, President Hibben of Princeton, and A. D. Lindsay, Master of Balloil College, Oxford.