DER MEISTERSINGER

There was no sign of protest in the meeting of the Glee Club last night, when Doc Davison unexpectedly tendered his resignation as the leader of the organization. Every man present realized that he had earned the right of retirement from an organization which has meant a long round of unceasing labor and devotion in order to preserve it in the face of Harvard indifference and build it up to be recognized by leading musicians to be the outstanding choral organization in the world. Such an achievement is one which may well be considered a success.

Many thousand Harvard men have grown to love him so that he may be compared only to the ever-present "Copey" in their minds. That ready smile and constant cheerfulness have made him popular with everyone. Yet those men see more in his attitude than that of the hail fellow well met. They recognize the great knowledge of music which has made his arrangements and compositions used by the leading choral organizations the world over. Still more they recognize the sincerity which has gained for him the confidence of so many friends. It was that sincerity that convinced President Lowell of the value of the Glee Club as an educational institution as Doc wished it to be and secured his whole-hearted support against the many enemies of its early existence.